More than 60 Years of Academic Excellence
Saint Clement Catholic School has been educating children in the Catholic tradition for more than sixty years. The groundbreaking ceremony for Saint Clement Catholic School was held on February 23, 1958. Saint Clement opened its doors to one hundred forty-five students in the first, second, and third grades on September 10, 1959. The Sisters of Saint Joseph of Wichita founded the school and served as staff members between 1959 and 1970. For many years, the Sisters of the Holy Family served as religious education teachers. Tuition at the time was less than ten dollars per month, and there were fifty students in each class. Saint Clement’s first graduation was held in June 1965. In 1971, an all-lay staff began to function under the principalship of lay educational administrators.
Saint Clement Catholic School has gone through various renovations and changes over the years. In 1958, the school was comprised of four classrooms, a teachers’ room, and an office. Construction of a second wing to the school’s facility began in November 1960. Four new classrooms for grades 5-8, a hall, convent, and administration wing were also added, and the school grew with the addition of one new class each year. In September 1981, the school’s first Kindergarten class began in the Small Hall in the church. In 1986, a Kindergarten room was added, along with a new faculty room and remodeled girls’ and boys’ bathroom. In the 1990s, the school established a computer lab, an Extended Care program, and a science lab/utility room. After more than sixteen years of sharing the Kindergarten classroom, Extended Care relocated to the school’s former media center. In the early 2000s, the school’s focus was to improve technology with the upgrades of LCD projectors, document cameras, interactive whiteboards, and a mobile laptop program. In the 2015-2016 school year, Saint Clement Catholic School implemented the initiation of one-to-one technology devices in grades K-8.
In 1980-2001, priests from the Archdiocese of San Francisco and the Diocese of Oakland ministered to Saint Clement Parish. In June 2001, the Congregation of Holy Cross withdrew from Saint Clement Parish. Today, the parish and school of Saint Clement are ministered by the Diocese of Oakland and profess the Diocesan mission statement to the community, “To know Christ better, and to make Him better known.”